Friday, June 7, 2013

Run / Walk you ask?

So now I am all signed up for the races and now what? Time to pick a training method!

                                   
                                 (looking forward to the expo to get these babies ^!!!)

Many of you have heard of the run/ walk method of training created by Jeff Galloway. I first learned about this on the run disney website. Since I have no prior training I decided to give it a whirl. After several runs using the different ratios of walking and running, I was disappointed. All I was left with was a ton of shin pain. I really think it is all the stopping once I have a bit of a jog going.

Once I get into a comfortable groove I like to keep it going as long as possible, I feel as if I get more tired with all the stop and go. Lots of people have had success with this method but it is just not for me. The training that I have been doing so far is just jogging and when I felt I was getting out of breath or tired I slowed down to a power walk and once I recovered I continued on. This really helped with the confidence I had in my running, I actually was able to complete almost 3 miles in about 30min. I use the nike running app which let's you know around every 5 minutes what your pace is. Using this app keeps me in check and I know when I need to speed up and when I can take a mini break.

So it is a good idea to try the methods that are already out there and if they don't work for you just follow what your body tells you :)

xoxo,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment